Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And Unto You a Bose SoundDock Shall be Delivered…

I’m not even halfway through the fourth full day of my positive thinking experiment and the universe has already conveyed to me a magnificent piece of electronics, completely free of charge!

You see, for quite some time I’ve wanted a Bose docking station for my iPod Nano. I was late to the iPod game, with my ex-girlfriend having gifted me with my first less than two years ago and I’d not seen clear to part with the ~ $300 the Bose system would set me back. I got by with my little $49.99 docking station from Target, coveting (and occasionally borrowing) the Bose systems of friends.

This past Friday night, while planning the dinner party mentioned in a previous blog entry, I lamented the fact that I’d be sans tunes once again, an inconceivable fate for a music lover like myself. I called a co-worker who lives nearby asking to once again impose upon her by borrowing her Bose SoundDock. As with previous requests, she graciously complied. Still I knew I couldn’t continue to rely upon her generosity, particularly given that I have several get-togethers planned in the upcoming weeks and doubted she’d be agreeable to entering into a joint custody agreement for the SoundDock.

I still didn’t want (and couldn’t) pluck down the $300 for a system of my own, so I decided to check out the U Choose Rewards program I’d recently discovered was associated with my ATM card. Unbeknownst to me, I’d been accruing points with every purchase for the last three years, averaging an accrual of about 1,000 points/month. When I first learned of the program two months ago, I’d already banked what seemed to be a hefty number of points – just over 30,000. I discovered that the 30,000 figure was impressive, but not nearly enough to garner a 42” flat screen television (listed at a cost of well over 100,000 points).

The choices were so wide-ranging that I’d initially been paralyzed by what seemed to be a colossal decision. Should I spend the points in small increments, collecting numerous smaller free items? Or should I blow the entire bankroll on a single item? I couldn’t decide, so the points sat there and continued to accumulate until last Friday night.

After ending the call with my co-worker, I logged on to the U Choose Rewards website and entered “Bose SoundDock” in the search bar. I didn’t even know if the program offered the system for which I’d yearned, but there it was on my screen in all its sleek, shiny, silver glory – the Bose SoundDock Series II. I glanced quickly at the “price” and saw that the universe was, indeed, looking out for me. My account balance at that moment was 32,332 points. The Bose system had originally been marked at 34,786 points, but was currently on sale for 31,418. I had enough points to make it my own!

And so it came to pass that the receptionist in my office rang me a short while ago to tell me I had a package at the front desk. The box now resides on my file cabinet, my jacket resting nearby so as not to permit my departure this evening without it.

In my pre-positive thinking life, I’d not have felt as though this situation warranted any praise and gratitude to the universe. After all, I’d made the purchases that allowed for the accumulation of points and I had to shell out nearly my entire points balance to receive the Bose. But with my newly adopted perspective, I see that a couple of planets had to align in order to fulfill my longtime yearning.

First, anyone who knows me would realize there is no way in the world I’d have been able to accumulate over 30,000 points if I’d known all along that the U Choose Rewards program existed. I’d have nickel-and-dimed my points away as they’d accrued every two-to-three months. It’s how I am, or how I have been – an impulsive shopper, not a scrupulous saver.

Second, at the exact time when I decided to check the program for the Bose system, it was on “sale”. Had the original price been in effect, I’d be waiting another two months in order to afford it.

This isn’t the stuff of miracles, I realize, but it’s today’s little marvel for me. So instead of thinking about the fact that my rewards points are back at a beginner level, I’m thinking about how grateful I am that the universe found a way to bring to me that for which I’d wished and when I have friends over again this Saturday night, I won’t be imposing on a good friend in order to fire up the Michael Buble’ or Kings of Leon.

Thank you universe for making it Christmas on January 5th for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment